Do you want to become a safer driver?
Can you stop your car in an emergency?
What does ABS/ESP really do?
Driving is possibly the most dangerous thing you do at work and in your own time.
The DSI Defensive Driving Course will help you understand your car and improve your skills so that you can keep yourself, your family and other road users safe.
What is a defensive driving course?
A defensive driving course provides knowledge and hands-on-skills training to help keep you safe on the road.
The course is suitable for all drivers and vehicles.
Duration – 1 Day – Start time 9am – Finish between 3pm-4.30pm depending on group size/venue.
Corporate / government / mining and public groups welcome. Learners may attend but only with a parent / supervising driver. The parent / supervisor must also purchase the defensive driving course and will be able to participate in all activities. The same vehicle can be shared.
[button color=”green” link=”/contact-us/” size=”xl”]Enquire[/button]
Defensive Driving Program Summary
AM Session – Theory – Comprehensive multi-media presentation on driving and road safety.
PM Session – Practical – Range of exercises to develop emergency car control skills.
*Please note this may vary at some venues.
Theory content includes –
- Understanding human factors
- Defensive driving techniques
- Managing and reducing risks associated with drivng
- Vehicle performance and systems
This is no boring class room session. There is plenty of time for group discussion and interaction and the content is presented using interesting examples, videos and pictures.
The skills component is hands-on and includes –
- Vehicle maintenance
- Seating position
- Steering technique.
- Simulated emergency braking exercises
- Low speed maneuvering exercises
Exercises are designed so that drivers can safely explore the effects of speed, road surface and different braking systems when faced with an emergency.
On average – each driver will complete 10-12 emergency stops during the day – receiving valuable instruction along the way.
The DSI Defensive Driving Course is the first step towards creating safer drivers and is essential for all drivers.
The DSI training team are professional, qualified and friendly. They will make sure you feel safe and gain the most from the course.
Driver Skills International can deliver nationally recognised defensive driving qualifications with selected courses. Please inquire when making your booking.
Further information for company car drivers.
DSI has identified that most car crashes are associated with –
- Driving when tired
- Trip and time management
- Not wearing seat belts
- Vehicle loads
This defensive driving course includes theory and practical sessions to develop safe driving behaviour.
Drivers will drive their own vehicle during the practical components of this course (must be registered and subject to basic safety checks). All practical components are conducted at suburban traffic speeds and all relevant road laws must be adhered to at all times. There is no risk of damage to the vehicle if all instructions are followed.
All participants will be presented with a Certificate of Achievement for attending the course.
- Concentration and Attitude
- Risk Taking Behaviour
- Fatigue Awareness and Time Management
- Effects of Speed
- Vehicle Loading / Trailer Towing
- Trip Management
- Road Law
- Alcohol Awareness
- Drug Awareness
- Common Crash Scenarios
- Safety in the car
- Driving Position
- Steering Techniques
- System of Vehicle Control
- Braking Systems
- Emergency Procedures
- Defensive Driving Techniques
- Achieve a safe emergency stop on a wet road
- Apply hazard avoidance techniques
- Experience the effect of speed on stopping distance
- Apply vision skills
- Apply correct car control techniques
At the completion of the course it is expected that all drivers will demonstrate:
- An awareness of how risk taking and motivation can affect your safety on the road
- How to identify potential hazards and avoid them
- Improved vision while driving
- An understanding of the risks associated with alcohol, drugs and fatigue
- The importance of correct tyre pressures and condition of tyres
- The importance of seat belts and other safety devices in the vehicle
- How to minimise distractions and loose objects in the vehicle
- How to identify different braking systems and how to use them effectively
- How speed can effect stopping distances
- A responsible attitude to self, other road users and community
- How to apply defensive driving techniques
Venue – defensive driver training can be provided on site or at any of our DSI Driver Training Venues.
Cost – $399 per driver including GST.
*Successful completion of this course and all assessment items may entitle the driver to receive a nationally recognised qualification. Please contact the office for more information.